Damage to Your Home: Bats vs. Birds
When you think of the dangerous wildlife you don’t want in your home, disease-infested mice and rats are probably the first things that come to mind. However, two animals you should be equally concerned about are birds and bats.
These flying creatures can cause an abundant of problems to your Hamilton County home or property. Birds and bats have different characteristics and habits causing them to create different types of damage to your home.
Birds may cause the following damage to your home:
- Roof damage: Many species of birds may create nests on top of your roof causing damage to roof tiles, shingles, and gutters.
- Chimney damage: Birds may also build nests inside chimneys. Their nests may block your chimney and cause improper ventilation.
- Exterior damage: Birds can also cause damage to the exterior of your home. Woodpeckers are commonly known to peck holes in wood siding or trim damaging home exteriors.
- Interior damage: If birds manage to get inside your home they can cause damage to the furniture, upholstery, fabrics, and carpets with their droppings and feathers.
Bats are known to cause less damage to the exterior of your home, however if they find their way inside, they can cause the following the problems:
- Attic damage: Bats are most known to inhabit your attic because of its ideal living environment. It is dark, usually undisturbed, and easy to access. If bats occupy your attic, they will cause the following damages:
- Staining: Bat droppings, also known as guano, can stain walls, ceiling, and insulation when they roost.
- Odor: Bat urine and guano emit a strong odor that is very unpleasant and difficult to remove.
- Structural damage: Bats will create roosts in your attic or walls. Once they take over these spaces, they will ruin the wood, insulation, and any other materials. Afterwards homeowners will have to replace and restore these spaces.
- Physical damage to you: Bats are known carriers of diseases like rabies and histoplasmosis, which can put you and your family’s health at risk if you come in contact with them or their droppings.
Any wildlife occupying your Hamilton County home can cause damage and be a headache to handle. Let the experts at Critter Control of Hamilton County safely and humanely remove the wildlife from your home and clean up and repair any damage they leave behind. Our experts specialize in wildlife removal, pest control, cleanup and repairs, attic services, and more!
Call for an inspection today!